dimanche, septembre 18, 2005

the journey

I find it weird when people say that they want children... This is not to say that someday, IY"H, I do not anticipate having a child or two. Rather, I think that I will be a parent, but I'm in no hurry to make the family thing go super fast or too soon. I have a career to build, parnassah to bulid up before I can afford all the things a child would need... i need to be really able to manage my own life and grow up the way I want to grow and be before I think I can have a child. ...not to mention the fact that I'm not even married yet. I figure thhere is a lot I have to learn about being a spouse before I can tackle the being ready to be a parent thing. I want to have marriage down before I try to juggle the marriage and ... so it puzzles me when people who aren't even married yet go on and on about how much they want a child or children already.

I figure one or two kids is more than a handful. I'll be happy with whatever Hashem gives me of course, but really, I just don't get the race to be done already.

I think of life along the lines of this great quote my Papa sent to me for my birthday:
"Sooner or later, we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is in the trip." -Robert J. Hastings